OLDNYC.COM--> Manhattan's Hudson River Piers Virtual Tour --> Chelsea to Upper West Side --> Gallery #1

As we head on up to midtown and eventually the Upper West Side, we turn back to view the large bubble-roof that provides a roof for one of the structures in the Chelsea Piers sports complex.

One of the largest piers, pier 63, was once a railroad pier station, according to railroad historian Thomas Flagg.  "The structure on the bulkhead was a railroad pier station, the last one built in the port in 1958, replacing the ferry slips that had been located here.  It was used until 1970", explains Mr. Flagg.  It's hard to tell that this pier once serviced railroads.

OldNYC.com contributor Jeffrey Silverberg adds: "Pier 63, where Basketball City, the "party" barge (and the now defunct Chelsea Equestrian Center) are located is NOT part of the Chelsea Piers Entertainment Center. Only Piers 59 (driving range), 60, 61 and 62, the marinas, and the 4-block long headhouse are part of the Chelsea Piers. The Pier 63 headhouse is scheduled to be demolished as part of the Hudson River Park.



In this area, New York City had a facility at pier 64, and Panama Steam Ships utilized pier 65.

Currently, two old boats are docked in this area waiting to be restored.



A side-view of an old rusting pier, whose building that resides on top of the pier is supported by steel girders.



A frontal view of the old rusting building.  The tour guide told us that a historical group was trying to get this building landmarked, however, the City of New York turned down the groups request saying that this building is "historically insignificant".



For those of you familiar with another one of  OldNYC.com's tours, you may recall seeing this building once before.  This is the famous Starrett-Lehigh building, located on 26th Street and the West Side Highway.  We first saw this building in OldNYC.com's B&O West 26th Street Yards tour.  According to railroad historian Tom Flagg, "In 1930-31 the Starrett-Lehigh building was constructed over the yard; it was a huge industrial loft building intended to provide space for small manufacturers, each of whom could rent a single floor or part of a floor, after the fashion of Bush Terminal (in Brooklyn, NY)."



-->> Click Here to Continue to Explore to the Upper West Side!

<<-- Click Here to go Back to OldNYC.COM Home