a mile or so before entering the Bay Ridge Yard, the Bay Ridge Branch ROW
runs adjacent to the BMT N subway train. At this location, the BMT N train
is to the right of the westbound ROW. The cement retaining wall contains
the BMT N trainís ROW. The subway line is elevated above the Bay Ridge
Branch ROW at this location.
Some other interesting items to note in this picture:
The elevated section of the N Trainís ROW hovers above the Bay Ridge Branch. In the background, one can see that the N train will cross over the Bay Ridge Branch, and run along side the branchís southern portion of the ROW for a couple of miles. The N train will then head towards Coney Island, as the Bay Ridge Branch heads towards Fresh Pond Yard or the New York Connecting Railroad line.
- There is a row of freight boxcars that are parked on the eastbound tracks of the ROW.
- The overpass was part of the LIRR Grade Elimination Project in the early 1900ís
- In the far background, one can see the overpass for the Gowanus Expressway viaduct.
- The Gowanus Expressway runs parallel to the Bay Ridge Branch as the expressway makes itís way up and over 65th Street. When the expressway was built, new stanchions had to be put in place to shore-up the expressway, 65th street, and 4th Avenue. One can see the Bay Ridge Branch ROW when heading eastbound (geographically north) on the Gowanus Expressway.
- Also in the far background, one can see the overpass for Fourth Avenue.
<<-- Click Here to go Back to Home